So, I’ve been messing around with my Adam for a while now and have noticed some things, many people have already noticed these things; however I am new to tablets and all my Android devices are still stock non-rooted (can’t afford to replace them if I screw it up!), as a List, currently in my home are an HTC Evo, and HTC Evo Shift, a Samsung Moment, and my Notion Ink Adam.
Things I have noticed, some are specific to the Adam, I think…
- most apps are written for really tiny resolution screens! I cannot even imagine it! The Adam is not super high res to begin with! The two worst apps I have seen so far are Gem Miner and Fruit Ninja! Makes me wonder if people realize that there are cell phones with greater than 900×500 resolution! (see the Meizu M9 which has a 3.5″ 640×960 display) These apps seem to be written for 320×240 pixel displays
- I believe my Notion Ink Adam had a faulty OS install
- When trying to switch to the Pixel Qi mode, it does switch, but also locks the screen and immediately goes to sleep… If I figure out that I am doing it wrong, you may see me demonstrating the correct way on YouTube in the near future, but right now the only way I know how is to quickly press and release the power button and the display goes B&W and then locks and then shuts off, in about 2.5 seconds. I tried getting the Pixel Qi switch app, but I couldn’t figure out how to use it before I nuked the stock Rom! I did take my Adam out in the sun and I was able to see it just the same (very sunny and direct on the screen) as when I was standing in side just seconds before (yes it was still in color when outside), so the auto-brightness must help a lot! Ok, I am a retard, apparently the PQi change button is a long press on the search button (go figure! I swear Rohan did it with a touch to the power switch in the videos), it works great, cannot believe I was standing in direct bright sunlight without using the PQi and could see the screen fine! I’ll have to test that again…
- I was not able to utilize any widgets, or airplane mode
- Eden Leaves would close themselves if I entered a full screen app and then exited that app by pressing the home key, all the leaves would close, after installing another app that could work as a home screen (Android Mate), anytime I pressed the home key and selected the Eden home screen, all Leaves would be closed.
- I’ve installed the Clockwork Mod, quick, easy, painless. it was the first time I have messed with an Android device in any way other than installing apps! I made a backup of my installation and that was about it! About 36 hours later I nuked my data and cache off the device, then formatted my internal SD, as it still had stuff on it, and restored from the restore partition.
- I then went to install EdenX, and when I went to shutdown I noticed I had an option to use airplane mode! maybe that would have helped with the cell standby eating >73% of my battery… who knows, didn’t stick around long enough to figure it out. I did try to initiate a change to the Pixel Qi display, but no dice (this was before I figured out how to do it right).
I am loving EdenX, although it kept somethings from the Stock Rom I was not crazy about (some of the preinstalled apps, the crappy notification bar…), it runs much better, more responsive to touch, faster, allows widgets, multiple home screens, a real app launcher, and is much closer to what I was expecting out of the Box. I was even able to install my previously purchased Android Apps from the Android market, yes EdenX provides the Android market. Not sure when I’ll get around to trying another Rom, but for now, I am happy with EdenX! Only change I need to make is to disable the Cell Standby, that sucker is eating up >73% of my battery…